I actually haven’t won an award for this turkey chili, but according to my family, and lots of friends, it is a winner! This is not a spicy chili, but it is so full of flavor and it will heat you up on a cold night!
Make a big pot for a Super Bowl Party or potluck dinner. You can garnish it with whatever you like (ideas below) and serve it with cornbread or tortilla chips and a big salad. It tastes even better on the second day and it freezes really well. I hope your family will love it, too! And, if you make it for a contest and win, I hope you’ll share your prize with me! Enjoy!
1 TBS olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
2# ground turkey or beef sirloin
3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 can tomato paste
2 TBS garlic, minced
1 bottle (~2 oz) ground cumin seed
1 bottle (~2 ¾ oz) chili powder
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 TBS salt
2 TBS dried basil
2 TBS dried oregano
2 (28 oz) cans Italian plum tomatoes, diced
¼ cup Cabernet wine (optional)
1 lemon, juiced
¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (3.5 oz) cans black olives, chopped
Shredded Mexican blend or sharp cheddar cheese
Plain Greek yogurt
1. In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook and stir until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
2. Crumble the ground turkey and turkey breast into the pot and cook and stir over medium-high heat until well browned. Drain meat in a colander and return to pot.
3. Lower heat and add tomato paste, cooking until paste turns a dark red color.
4. Add dry spices, garlic, and mustard. Stir well.
5. Add tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, fresh herbs, kidney beans, and olives. Stir well and simmer, uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning to taste.
7. Serve while piping hot! Garnish with chopped onions, shredded cheese, and Greek yogurt.
Fat 10 gm
Carbs 30 gm
Fiber 12 gm
Sugar 10 gm
Sodium 650 mg
Protein 22 gm