This is not your average cole slaw/cabbage salad. This cabbage salad is lightly cooked and served warm. The beautiful purple color is very appetizing and the perfect accompaniment to almost any protein you would serve. You can purchase bags of shredded cabbage, but it takes just a minute or two to shred it yourself. And, a small head of cabbage goes a very long way, making this a very economical and delicious dish to make. Enjoy!
2 TBS olive or grape seed oil
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tsp sea salt
1 lemon, juiced
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
3 TBS fresh mint, chopped
3 TBS fresh dill, chopped
3 TBS fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/3 cup low sodium feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
4. Add cabbage and sea salt and cook, stirring, until cabbage starts to soften
(al dente) for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove saucepan from heat.
6. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
7. Stir in fresh herbs and adjust seasonings as needed.
8. Pour cabbage into a serving bowl and top with fresh mint leaves and crumbled feta.
9. Serve warm.
Fat 7 gm
Carbs 9 gm
Fiber 2 gm
Sugar 4 gm
Sodium 500 mg
Protein 3 gm