A vegan burger that any carnivore will love!
I know it’s hard to find a real tasty veggie burger, but you won’t be disappointed with these. You can even make mini vegan sliders by using cookie cutters to make smaller burgers and buns. Serve on a whole grain roll, wrap in lettuce, or put on top of a salad.
Makes 9 burgers
3 cups cooked brown rice
12 oz. chickpeas
4 oz. red beans
1 medium onion, lightly chopped (1 ½ cup)
1 carrot, shredded (½ cup)
½ cup ground almonds, almond flour, or bread crumbs
½ cup unsalted sunflower seeds, roasted
½ cup canned, pureed pumpkin
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1. If chickpeas and red beans are from a can, rinse well under cold running water and drain.
2. Pulse chickpeas and red beans in a food processor to desired consistency; remove to large bowl. Add chopped onion, shredded carrot, and all ingredients – mix well.
3. Shape into 9 (½ inch-thick) patties.
4. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes per side, until browned.
5. Serve burgers on: a whole-wheat bun or Sandwich Thins or wrap in lettuce to avoid excess starchy carbs.
Total fat 9 gm
Carbs 34 gm
Fiber 7 gm
Sodium 282 mg
Protein 10 gm