The pre-cooked fish in this ceviche recipe is a fantastic option for those who are nervous to eat raw fish, such as pregnant women, young children, elderly or any one with a compromised immune system. And for those who love ceviche, you will be hooked on this!
Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or at an evening of tapas. The flavors are perky, yet light – enjoy with baked tortilla chips or plantain chips and a skinny margarita! Delish!!!
1 pound tilapia filets, cut into 2” pieces
1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced
4 limes, juiced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp salt
1 large green bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
½ cup white onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup green olives, sliced
1 large avocado, chopped
1. Place tilapia in a medium skillet, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk jalapeno, lime juice, 2 TBS cilantro, oregano and salt.
3. Transfer tilapia to a large shallow, nonreactive dish with a slotted spoon and pour the lime juice mixture over the top.
4. Add bell pepper, tomato, olives and onions; mix gently.
5. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro leaves and avocado. Serve chilled with baked tortilla chips.
Fat 10 gm
Carbs 17 gm
Fiber 3 gm
Sodium 350 mg
Protein 26 gm