When I grew up, having lasagna for dinner was a big treat. It was one of my mom’s specialties and a family favorite, yet she knew it was so fattening, so we didn’t have it often. Well, I miss lasagna! So, I’ve concocted this healthy recipe that can fit into anyone’s meal plan!
The lasagna noodles have been swapped out for strips of zucchini, summer squash, and eggplant, bringing the calories way down! By using a small of amount of goat cheese (tons of flavor) on the middle layer, I was also able to reduce the amount of cheese used.
I think you will just love this recipe and hopefully it will become one of your family favorites! Enjoy!
2 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow summer squash
1 medium eggplant
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
6 baby bella or white button mushrooms, sliced
¾ cup low fat cottage cheese
¾ cup mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
3 TBS fresh basil, julienned
24 oz. jar of Rao’s marinara sauce (or your favorite sauce)
Preheat oven to 375F
1. Slice zucchini, summer squash, and eggplant in ¼-inch length-wise strips.
2. Salt both sides of veggies and let sit for 15 minutes to sweat.
3. Rinse veggies and blot dry with a towel.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat 1 TBS of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add eggplant and cook until lightly browned on both sides. Remove from heat.
5. In a ceramic, rectangular baking dish –
a. LAYER 1 – put down a layer of summer squash noodles, slightly overlapping the edges. Top with 1/3 of the sauce.
b. Top this layer with ½ of the sliced mushrooms, 1/3 of the cottage cheese and mozzarella, and sprinkle with basil.
c. LAYER 2 – put down a layer of eggplant, slightly overlapping the edges. Top with 1/3 of the sauce.
d. Top this layer with 1/3 of the cottage cheese and mozzarella, the spinach, last ½ of the mushrooms, and the goat cheese.
e. LAYER 3 – put down a layer of zucchini, slightly overlapping the edges. Top with the last 1/3 of the sauce.
f. Top this layer with the last 1/3 of the cheeses.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until bubbly and veggies are tender. Eat while hot! Enjoy!
Fat 11 gm
Carbs 17 gm
Fiber 6 gm
Sugar 10 gm
Sodium 280 gm
Protein 13 gm