This recipe is a perfect example of a very heart-healthy meal. Enjoy with a side salad or grilled veggies and a glass of wine. Buon Appetito!
16 oz. salmon
1 cup brown lentils
1 celery stalk
1 small onion
2 cups water or chicken broth
1 medium tomato
- In a small pot, sauté onion, carrots, and celery in 1 tsp. olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and stir. Add water or broth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and lentils are soft. Set aside.
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill or sauté both sides until done, but not overcooked (7–8 minutes).
- While the salmon is on the grill: chop the tomato into small pieces, add chopped basil, salt and a little olive oil. This can be sautéed until warm or served at room temperature.
- To plate: form a mound of lentils on the bottom, add the salmon on top, and put the chopped tomato/basil mixture on the salmon.
- Optional: garnish the dish by topping with: crispy fried onions, toasted pine nuts, sliced olives, spinach, asparagus, etc.
Makes 4 servings