So this recipe is a little more work than I usually put into cooking, but believe me, it’s well worth the extra effort! I made this for a dinner party and it was demolished in minutes! The Indian spices, caramelized onions and tahini are warm and savory, but the hint of lemon just brightens it up!
This is a high fiber, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetable dish that is so flavorful, I think you will love it! The picture doesn’t do it justice! Darn it!
Try it for a special occasion and let me know what you think!
1 medium cauliflower
1 ½ TBS olive oil
3 TBS Indian spice mix (see below)
¼ cup Tahini sauce (Trader Joe’s)
Indian spice mix:
1 large dried, black chili (remove seeds)
1 ½ TBS coriander seeds
1 ½ TBS cumin seeds
2 ½ tsp ground allspice
1 ¼ tsp white pepper
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
2 large onions, sliced
1 TBS olive oil
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 TBS roasted pine nuts
1 tsp sumac
½ lemon, juiced
Preheat oven to 375 F
Spice mix – yields ~5 TBS
1. Roast the deseeded chili and coriander and cumin seeds for 5-6 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
2. Crumble the chili pepper and grind all the roasted spices to a powder.
3. Mix with dried ground spices and store in an airtight container.
Raise oven temp to 400 F
1. Place the whole cauliflower (including leaves and stem) in an ovenproof saucepan or corning ware round pan that fits snugly.
2. Fill the bottom of the pan with enough water to cover the stem and leaves.
3. Rub olive oil over the cauliflower and sprinkle with the spice mix and sea salt to create a crust.
4. Roast for 1½ hours until cauliflower is completely tender when tested with a knife.
Caramelized onions –
1. Heat olive oil in sauté pan and add onions and sea salt. Cook over low heat until golden. Add sugar and continue cooking until the onions are caramelized.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.
1. Lift cooked cauliflower out of water and put on cutting board.
2. Cut into 8 thick slices, including leaves and stem.
3. Pour lemon juice over cauliflower steaks.
4. Top with caramelized onions.
5. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
6. Garnish with roasted pine nuts and sumac.
Fat 11 gm
Carbs 13 gm
Fiber 5 gm
Sugar 5 gm
Sodium 260 mg
Protein 5 gm