These spring rolls are easy to make, so they are great for dinner on a hot evening, and yet they look impressive enough to serve at a party. Speaking of parties, make a smorgasbord of different veggies, fruits, etc. and let people make their own.
Getting your kids involved in the prep work makes eating them more fun! Fill them up with your favorite veggies, chopped nuts, and herbs to give them your own special spin.
1 lb. thin asparagus, tough ends removed
2 cups julienned cantaloupe (or mango, papaya, apple, peach, etc.)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced strips
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
3/4 c dry roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
1/2 c fresh mint leaves
1/2 c fresh cilantro leaves or julienned basil leaves
2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
8 sheets of 6-inch round rice paper sheets
Trader Joe’s Asian Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water for ~3 minutes. Remove and rinse immediately under cold running water to stop cooking process.
- Fill a large pot with hot water and soak rice papers for ~15-20 seconds to soften, one at time. Place softened rice paper on a cutting board.
- In upper center of rice paper, put 4 pieces of asparagus, 3 pepper slices, 2-3 TBS of bean sprouts, 1 TBS of each herb, 1/4 tsp of ginger, and 1 TBS of peanuts.
- Roll the rice paper from the bottom up, and then each side, tightly.
- Slice rolls into 2-3 pieces each and stand upright on a serving platter.
- Serve with Asian sweet chili dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Calories 190, Carbs 22gm, Fiber 5 gm, Fat 9 gm, Sodium 70 mg, Protein 10gm