The Super Bowl is coming up and whether you are a Patriots fan, a Seahawks fan or neither, it is the perfect time to get together with family and friends. It is also an easy event to calorie overload, casual munching on unhealthy party foods. Use this event to reinforce healthy eating habits and introduce your party guests to these healthy recipes, which they are sure to love.
BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced
3 TBS tahini
1 TBS cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tsp chili powder
¼ cup olive oil
½ lime, juiced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Steep the black beans in boiled water for a few minutes and drain.
2. Put all the ingredients, except the oil and lime juice, into the food processor.
3. Continue processing while adding the oil in a steady stream.
4. Continue processing while adding the lime juice.
5. Serve with baked pita chips and sliced veggies.
3 large zucchini, cut into 3” strips/fries
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper, to taste
2 TBS virgin olive oil
2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray a cooling rack with oil and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix parmesan, herbs, garlic, salt & pepper.
4. Place zucchini strips onto prepared cooling rack. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cheese mixture.
5. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until tender.
6. Broil for 2-3 minutes, until crisp.
7. Serve hot!
FOOTBALL CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES
1 ½ cups of dark chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate
2 coffee mugs
Piping bag and #2 tip
1. Wash and dry strawberries, keeping leaves on.
2. Microwave the dark chocolate chips in a coffee mug for 30 seconds on high.
3. Stir and repeat until melted.
4. Dip strawberries into chocolate and put on parchment paper.
5. Set for 15 minutes.
6. Melt white chocolate using same method.
7. Pour into the piping bag.
8. Pipe a stripe at the top and bottom of strawberries.
9. Pipe a line down the middle and then 5-6 lines across the middle line.