In honor of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, here is a one pot meal that provides half of your daily recommended fiber. This casserole provides an excellent source of vitamins A & C, and a good source of iron, folate, and potassium. It is not only very healthy for you, but is a fabulous comfort food. Enjoy!
1 TBS and 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TBS chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chipotle powder
2 ½ cup water
2 15-ounce cans of low sodium black beans, rinsed – or 2 different beans
1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
4 tsp lime juice
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion. Stir often for about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotle and salt. Stir constantly for 30 seconds.
3. Add water and bring to a simmer.
4. Cover, reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender (10-12 minutes).
5. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice. Increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.