Zucchini boats are colorful, nutrient-dense, vehicles of yumminess. They are also a great dish to bring for a potluck dinner. Especially when you really want to eat healthy, but you know everyone else is bringing unhealthy stuff, like macaroni salad and hot dogs – yikes! – you will be the hit of the party with this dish!
Vegans and carnivores will be delighted with this veggie entree.
6 medium zucchini
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS ground turmeric
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 (8oz.) pkj baby bella or button mushrooms, chopped
1 red bell pepper, ¼” diced
1 (10 oz.) bag spinach
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. fennel seeds
salt and pepper, to taste
grated parmesan cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2. Wash and dry zucchini. With a small spoon, scoop out inside of zucchini, leaving a ¼” wall. Set aside face down on paper to drain.
3. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add turmeric and black pepper, cook until bubbling.
4. Add onion and sauté until translucent (3-5 minutes). Stir in garlic and stir until fragrant (~ 30 seconds) – do not brown.
5. Add mushrooms and bell peppers and cook until soft (3-5 minutes).
6. Stir in marinara sauce and spices and mix well.
7. Add spinach and cook until wilted (1-2 minutes).
8. Turn zucchini boats over and place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Wipe out any excess liquid.
9. Fill zucchini with vegetable mixture.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is soft.
11. Optional – sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese while hot.
Carbohydrates 9 gm
Fiber 3 gm
Fat 2.5 gm
Sodium 50 mg
Protein 3 gm